Uniform Construction Code Information

The Uniform Construction Code
The statewide law concerning building codes (Uniform Construction Code) is in effect in Rapho Township.

It refers to a standardized set of codes and appendices that are known as the International Construction Code. This is further broken down into a building code, residential code, mechanical code, plumbing code, electrical code, fuel gas code, fire code, energy conservation code, existing building code and urban-wildland-interface code.

There are limited instances where there are exclusions from following the UCC. Agricultural buildings are excluded; historic buildings have certain exclusions, repairs or alterations that do not have any structural changes are excluded.
Also excluded are fences that are not more than 6 feet high, retaining walls less than 4 feet high, exterior or interior painting, papering, carpeting, flooring etc. Replacement of existing roof material, replacement of existing siding, interior insulation, replacement of rain gutters, installation of an uncovered deck no more than 30 inches above grade are all additional areas of exclusion.

During the construction process, you or your builder will notify the inspector to check on construction at certain times during the process. It will be your responsibility to pay for the inspection company for those inspections. When the project is finished, the inspection company must do a final inspection and then notify the township that the job is complete, and then the Township will issue the Certificate of Use and Occupancy.

Zoning Permit
Rapho Township still requires a zoning permit be issued by the township for structures that do not fall under the new building code. Construction of or changes to agricultural buildings need a zoning permit. Sheds and detached garages less than 1,000 square feet, decks less than 30 inches above ground all need a zoning permit. Fences less than 6 feet high need a zoning permit. The fee for the zoning permit is $3 per $1,000 cost of construction.

If you are planning a new project or if you have any questions about the Uniform Construction Code, call the township office to speak with our Zoning Officer for guidance as to whether you are required to obtain either a building permit, a zoning permit or do not need any permit.